Monday, September 29, 2008

29th September 2008

I started my new role in Melbourne today. A position that, while interesting enough in and of itself (it’s in dual diagnosis - mental health and substance abuse disorders) has as it’s most notable feature a 2 hour commute each way. For this first week that is exacerbated by a 45 minute walk home…. My car broke down on the weekend and will take 5 days and $763 to repair. Ouch.

When I first accepted the position I did so with two thoughts in mind - buy a laptop, and do a lot of knitting. I’m typing this on the laptop. The knitting I took with me today was a ‘cats paw lace’ scarf. I’m knitting up some white handspun alpaca. It sheds terribly and I strongly suspect I damaged the fibres when I washed it due to ignorance. Live and learn.

The scarf itself is turning out to be a fairly labour intensive ordeal. I tried knitting with it on the tow-truck on Saturday, but the truck was bouncing around so much that I kept messing up the lace and having to pull it out, and try again. Today on my way to the City I noticed that one of the needles was chipped. Not to be dissuaded, I worked on it for most of the journey into the city, although given that I was concerned every stitch that my finger was getting hurt by the broken needle, I ended up needing to pull out what I knitted. Learning nothing from the morning I also worked on it for a good part of the journey home, and after some frogging and a lot of knitting it was eventually abandoned with only one extra repeat of the pattern (16 rows - 400 stitches. For 2 hours). I’ll change it onto new needles when I get home. Ironically the last thing I did before I left home was take the pink hat out of my bag because I figured I wouldn’t need both projects.

Then I figured if I had to lug my laptop home I might as well use it (hence writing my blog). I suspect that as I climb up the hill home I’m going to really resent having the extra weight and I may as well get some use out of it. Incidentally, to purchase the laptop was cheaper than my car repairs. I love Dell.

I reckon it’s going to be a long week - 12 hour days, long walks, bad weather, and money will be tight for months to come. And the person in the seat behind me sticking his feet into my back really isn’t making the whole thing look better.

3 comments:

catsmum said...

ok so you're 2 hours out of Melbourne but in which direction ?
- found you through a comment on ravelry btw - welcome to the growing band of victorian ravellers

catsmum said...

anwered my own question by reading your rav profile !

Iddylion said...

Hi Catsmum.

Sorry for not responding sooner, I've been ignoring my blog (I always do this and why I shouldn't start them...)

Anyway yes, I live in Gippsland, which is reflected in my ravelry profile. Thanks for the welcome, I'm not quite sure how I ever survived without ravellry! To think, until so recently I didn't even know it existed!