Tuesday, September 30, 2008

30.9.08

I finished the scarf today. I got to bed early last night and as a result was capable of higher level functioning today. Yesterday ended interestingly when I realised that I’d left my wallet on the train. I went looking for my USB drive to transfer a photo of the scarf from my desktop to my laptop, and while hunting for that noticed I couldn’t find my wallet (I’m not entirely sure of the logic there myself, but that’s how it happened). I rang the station where the train terminates at this morning, and sure enough they had it. The cleaner had helped themselves to the $10 note I’d had (I’m too lazy to carry much cash), but otherwise everything was there, and for that I was grateful.

I also brought the pink hat with me on the train today, it’s about 1/3rd done, and I expect it will probably be finished on Thursday. It’s the second time I’ve had to make it (long story) so I’ll be glad to see the back of it. It’s not a yarn I particularly enjoy working with. I think at the moment handspun is such a novelty that I’m not liking working with anything I haven’t made myself. That said I’m completely under whelmed with how the Alpaca scarf turned out, and I suspect the yarn is the cause. I guess I’m just never happy!

After the hat I’m planning to start on some socks, I bargained with my mother - her wool winder for a pair of handmade socks. It’s a deal we’re both happy with - given vet bills and mechanic costs I wasn’t going to be able to afford one for quite a while, and she has one from when she was a knitter that’s been sitting there gathering dust for as long as I can remember. Amusingly enough I had no idea what the damn thing was until I read about one on a spinning mailing list, decided that I needed one, and then went looking for them online… upon seeing them I knew exactly what that thing mum had had was (and looking at the cost why she would never let us play with it!).

Today is the last day of September, which is a reminder to me that if I actually DO intend to attend that Halloween party in costume I need to look into making / renting / purchasing a costume. My plan at the moment is to pick up some satin sheets at a second hand store, make a medievalesque dress / tunic, grab a kiddy tiara and sceptre, and go as a queen. The SCAdian in me is incredibly offended by that idea, but it seems easy and inexpensive, which are my primary concerns at the moment.

No comments: